Maintenance Tips for Your Blueprint Storage Rack and Other Products
Setting up an organized office space can often involve a large investment depending on the size and nature of the company, or the level of disorganization that currently exists. It’s only natural to want to get the best return on your investment, in terms of maximum years of useful service. To achieve this, the boring chore of maintenance should not be relegated as an afterthought.
The blueprint storage rack by Big Blueprint Hanger is the foundation of an innovative storage system for large amounts of oversized documents in a small amount of space. Our storage solutions include standing racks, rolling racks, wall-mounted racks, security cabinets with hanging racks, and shelf-converter racks for existing wardrobes. We manufacture the hangers that attach to the rack, the jackets that keep documents safe from the elements, or the tags to help distinguish jackets from one another.
The Benefits of Maintaining an Organizational System
Organizational equipment is purchased to achieve multiple aims, one being the positive impression a clean and professional-looking office leaves on a visitor.
Industries heavy in their use of oversized paper and blueprints need them to manage the flow of information critical to their operation. Without a proper filing and storage system, the vast amounts of paper involved could lead to unsightly clutter. As such, a business in say, engineering or fashion design, would be careful to manage their paper overflow and project their ability to solve a potential client’s problem.
Employee related benefits include the ease of accessing documents when needed, and an attractive working environment, which boosts morale and productivity. Also, well-maintained equipment motivates workers to follow through with the prescribed organizational systems, instead of relying on individual workarounds in response to faulty equipment. Useful information can get lost this way, for example, in situations where an employee with their own unique storage system is unreachable during an emergency.
Finally, another reason for adequate maintenance and cleanliness is simply the health and safety of workers. Swivel wheels that don’t work properly or unstable racks could lead to injury. Unclean spaces due to the excessive buildup of dust, mold, and other allergens could negatively impact the air quality workers are exposed to.
Maintenance Tips for Your Blueprint Storage Rack and Other Products
Big Blueprint Hanger’s space-saving storage products are made for large documents like blueprints, maps, artwork, film files, or any oversized documents. We take every care possible to deliver high-quality products that perform to the highest standards, and most importantly will provide many years of useful employ.
It’s only normal that with continued use, all storage equipment experience some wear and tear. In the event of intentional misuse or unintentional accidents, some product may be damaged and cause damage to stored blueprints/sensitive documents or in the most severe cases, personal injury. It is therefore imperative to conduct regular maintenance.
The discussion that follows will serve as a guide to help prevent damage and prolong the useful life of your storage products. The first important note is to make sure that purchased equipment is used only for its intended purpose. The second point is to ensure spot checks are performed every time they are used to identify any damage or wear and tear.
We will admit that once blueprints and oversized documents finally find a resting place, it’s tempting to not want to dislodge them. And after spot checks, if there is no visible damage, it might seem pointless to perform any cleaning operations. We would like to reiterate that no effort is wasted because of the contribution to the longevity of your equipment and the health of your workers.
Please take note of the equipment used for storing archives. They should not be left out of spot checks since they may not get daily use. However, a routine check every 30 days is a good idea.
During spot checks, wear and tear of any parts will be noticeable to any users and staff should be encouraged to report such deterioration, however minor, since a small failure left unresolved could lead to more extensive damage in the future. Below are some observations to make during visual spot checks and necessary actions to take:
- An initial check to perform upon installation to ensure the blueprint storage rack is placed on a stable, smooth, and level surface.
- Make sure bolts, screws, locking pins, and fasteners are tight enough, taking care not to over-tighten.
- Eliminate any observed instability by replacing missing nails, bolts, screws, glides, or worn-out casters.
- Make sure swivels and their attachments encourage motion, and brakes hold. Moving parts should be lubricated as necessary, taking care not to grease neighboring materials.
- Unload any storage rack or shelf converter rack with structural failure that makes it unfit for normal use until it can be repaired or replaced.
Cleaning Tips for Your Blueprint Storage Rack and Other Products
Our security cabinets are ideal for locking up sensitive documents while optimizing the available space. Following our innovative storage approach, the cabinets are equipped with blueprint hanging racks, for hanging documents neatly. They also protect against accidental spills or excessive damp. The following steps describe the cleaning process for blueprint cabinets (performed every 3-6 months or as needed):
1. Take out the documents and any other stored content making sure they remain secure and organized. The hangers make them easy to transport
2. Vacuum the cabinet to pick up dust and debris, taking care to get to the corners (the hose attachment should help). A handheld vacuum can make the job easier because they are lightweight.
3. Use a fine steel wool pad to lightly brush off rust. It’s important to use a gentle motion to avoid damaging the metal surface.
4. Clean away dirt and grime with a soft cloth made damp in warm soapy water. Mild soap like dishwashing liquid is suitable. Wipe the inner walls, level surfaces, cabinet floor, and the outer surfaces.
5. Wipe dry with a dry microfiber cloth and finish off by allowing the cabinet to air completely. It’s important to only transfer the documents back to a dry cabinet to avoid damaging your sensitive documents or creating an enabling environment for mold and unpleasant smells.
Open racks are excellent for air circulation which is necessary for storing paper collections for the long-term. Combined with a carefully controlled storage environment (cool and dry), storage racks are an efficient solution.
Big Blueprint Hanger produces storage racks in various sizes and capacity limits to store all types of documents in a minimum amount of space. Our rack proportions average 3 Poly Hangers per inch and 2 aluminum hangers per inch with enough finger room in between.
Unfortunately, while they are an efficient solution, storage racks are easy to neglect. The most common cause of damage to them is overloading them beyond their specified limits or an accidental strike of a substantial magnitude. It’s important to ensure racks are assembled correctly as the first step to enhance their longevity. Any equipment with a structural failure in a blueprint rack should be removed from service immediately to prevent personal injury or complete failure of the equipment.
Also, storage racks are susceptible to the build-up of dirt. Fortunately, the majority of blueprint storage racks are made of aluminum which is one of the easiest metals to keep pristine. A quick weekly routine involving wiping down with a cloth to get rid of dust is practical. Once every 3-6 months, however, a more thorough cleaning procedure, discussed below, should be followed:
1. Unload the hangers with documents from the storage rack.
2. Check for sturdy connections.
3. Wipe away grime and dirt with a soft cloth dampened with warm soapy water. Regular dishwashing soap is sufficient. Pay particular attention to the edges and corners that receive lots of traffic.
4. For tough stains, use a soft-bristled brush, working gently along the metal’s grain. Or use non-etching chemical cleaner for particularly stubborn stains. It’s important to avoid using strong detergents, bleach or acetone.
5. Wipe clean with a soft damp cloth to remove every trace of cleaner or detergent, paying attention to the edges and joints.
6. Wipe dry with a soft microfiber cloth, and allow to air dry completely before loading back the hangers.
Blueprint Storage Rack Attachments:
These include clamps, hangers, and job jackets. To ensure these smaller parts offer the most use during their lifetime, they should be used within their acceptable limits. Print Clamps, Poly Hangers, and Aluminum Hangers can be cleaned regularly with a soft cloth to remove visible dust and streaks. Any stubborn stains would require unloading the documents they hold first before wiping them down with a soft cloth dampened with mild soap, then wiping clean with another soft damp cloth, and finally wiping dry with a microfiber cloth.
By following a scheduled maintenance routine, your organization will get the maximum return on the investments made on Big Blueprint Hanger’s storage racks and related products. They will keep their original appearance for a long time, perform as expected, and last longer.